Thursday, December 21, 2006

Seriously

Unlike some blogs, I have left comments open to the public. On rare occasions I have deleted comments that were of excessive length or simply inappropriate or off-topic. But for the most part, I give readers the opportunity
to sound-off and put their own 2 cents into the discussion.

Some people have written things like "are you kidding?" or "is this some sort of satire?" as if anyone with any brains would know what a 'joke' Senator Kerry was. Perhaps if you watched him botch the joke about 'getting stuck in Iraq' you would clearly know that he was not Presidential material. Any Presidential candidate, I guess, must have the ease of David Letterman or the wit of Johnny Carson.

But I am not joking.

It isn't funny what is happening in America.

Guantanamo wasn't a joke.

Haditha doesn't keep me up late laughing.

Abu Ghraib didn't tickle my funny bone.

Katrina didn't make me chuckle.

Ignoring the FISA Courts didn't leave me rolling in the aisles.

Editing Global Warming reports by lobbyists who leave to work for Exxon wasn't amusing.

Signing statements aren't exactly great 'punch lines'.

Phoney reporters in the White House Press pool wasn't entertaining.

Outing a CIA Agent wasn't good for a laugh.

Lying to get us into a war and fixing facts wasn't a great late night stand-up routine.

"What's a little dunk" and Americans endorsing torture doesn't bring a smile to my face.

Extraordinary Rendition of individuals from the United States to third world countries wouldn't make a great humor story.

The Mexico City Policy that denies financial support to African women who are at risk because the clinic mentioned abortion doesn't make me grab my ribs in glee.

A stem cell policy that requires fertility labs to throw unused frozen embryos into the garbage instead of using them to research into the causes of Parkinson's or cures for spinal cord injuries is not what I would call a great "ha ha ha".

No these things don't give me a big HO HO HO this Holiday Season.

So I am not joking. And I am not laughing.

I am still angry that America failed to see the wisdom of electing Senator John Kerry as President. I suspect he would have even won Ohio if voters weren't stripped from the rolls, if all of the voting machines worked as they should have, and if every voter had access to voting machines without having them limited in certain areas. But that is another story. Much like how Al Gore should have won Florida.

John Kerry was right and is right on the issues facing America. Issues that aren't funny. Issues that reach into the very core of what America means.

I supported Kerry in 2004. I shall continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with him as long as he is interested in the job for 2008. There is no candidate better suited and more qualified to lead us through these difficult times!

Keep on Coming John!

Bob

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an idiot.

12:47 PM  
Blogger BobsAdvice said...

Thank you for your intelligent comment.

Bob

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Kerry deserves another look in 2008.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Robert Ellman said...

I respect you and admire your passion. I enjoy reading your blog. I disagree about Kerry being the right candidate for president in 2008. His support for the Iraq war bothered me in '02 as it also troubles me with other prospective candidates such as Hillary Clinton. That said, I worked my butt off for him '04 and believe America and the cause of world peace would have been better served had he won.

I suspect America and Kerry himself would be better served if he focused instead on becoming an elder statesman for the Democratic Party. It's a role he can fill well and there is no shame in it. Adlai Stevenson lost twice and became an effective elder statesman. Not everyone can be president. It's tragic however when lesser people such as Bush become president.

Either way, stick to your principles and don't allow anonymous nut jobs who write, "You're an idiot" get you down. I get plenty of hate email from right wingers and anti-semites because of my blog. It's a badge of honor.

Happy holidays.

1:07 AM  
Blogger BobsAdvice said...

Thanks Rob,

Senator John Kerry is an elder statesman for the party. I suppose that is a reason I support him.

I respect and admire many of the other Democrats who are seeking the nomination as well. I too worked my butt off for the Senator in 2004. After the bitter loss in November, I chose not to move on but to continue the effort. It seemed right then and it seems right now.

It is not enough anymore to calculate the electability factor internally. This would only allow those who have no interest in any Democrat being elected to part the sea so to speak for that Democrat they believe is the least electible. I suspect that is why Kerry gets such a rough treatment and Obama, and yes even Hillary Clinton seems to get a pass in the right-wing media and blogosphere.

Or am I being too cynical?

(Can anyone really be too cynical these days of Orwellian leadership?)

I briefly visited your blog and I am impressed by the depth of your writing and the professionalism of your presentation. Your kind words are even more appreciated from that perspective.

Sometimes when somebody says something totally idiotic, like "you're an idiot", I feel like pulling back into my junior high school years, break into a bit of a smile and say, "I resemble that remark!"

But then again, it is difficult to use humor in these times.

Thank you again! Happy holidays and good health in 2007!

Bob

9:28 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

"It isn't funny what is happening in America"

Huh? What's happening in America?

3:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YOU'RE RIGHT

it is not funny what is going on in America right now.

I AGREE WITH YOU ON EVERY ISSUE THAT YOU MENTIONED.

That is why I believ it is CRITICAL that we have a DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT IN 2009......

I WAS 19 in 2004, I RAISED MONEY FOR THE KERRY/EDWARDS TICKET, I SPENT EVERY FREE MINUTE FOLLOWING THE ELECTION......I NOW RUN AN ORGANIZATION FOCUSED ON ENERGIZING YOUNG PEOPLE IN POLITICS.........

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, I KNOW FOR A FACT....THAT IF JOHN KERRY WINS THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION IN '08, IN 2009, WE WILL BE DISCUSSING WHAT DEMOCRAT HAS THE BEST CHANCE OF TAKING ON McCAIN(OR WHOEVER THE RE-RES PICK) IN 2012

It's not because he can't tell a joke. It's not because he's too liberal. It's not because of his looks, or anything cosmetic. John Kerry, quite simply, is a BAD politician, HE'S GOOD ON POLICY, HE SUCKS AT POLITICS........

YOU MENTIONED THE "BOTCHED JOKE"......I heard it when he said it.....It wasn't meant to be a joke.....He was pointing out something very true, which is that many people in the military are not there because they want to be but because they had no other options coming out of High School....IT WAS NOT A JOKE.....He was right.....(THEN WHAT HAPPENED) W attacked him, and instead of defending his TRUE statement about oppurtunities for young people in America....He punked out and said it was a "Botched Joke" about the President-----which it wasn't----and that made him look dishonest and elitest.....HE ALWAYS FOLDS UNDER PRESSURE, HE SUCKS AT POLITICS.....ITS NOT A BAD THING PERSONALLY, I JUST DON'T THINK IT IS HELPFUL FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY IN ELECTION TIME


AND THATS AS SERIOUS AS IT GETS.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

"W attacked him"

He did? Want to point out to the rest of us where and how "W" attacked him?

6:09 PM  
Blogger BobsAdvice said...

Michael,

Thanks again for writing.

However, if you have anything to say, why don't you go ahead and provide documentation, and references, that demonstrate your point.

Otherwise you are certainly being successful at being annoying and diverting attention from anything I write. Maybe that has been your goal the entire time.

But I believe, that beneath your superficial posts, there lies a greater depth of insight and belief that you should be able to contribute something substantial instead of your "hit and run" kind of comments.

I do believe there are legitimate sources that you can draw upon that will support your views. That is your job.

Bob

5:14 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

"you are certainly being successful at being annoying and diverting attention from anything I write"

I am? Jael wrote that W attacked kerry after his botched joke and I asked him to provide an example of that attack. I know it's so much easier to accuse me of being annoying when you can't answer my question?

6:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Michael,

Being annoying and diverting attention is EXACTLY what you are doing and you know it.

The whole reason anybody outside of that rally knows about the quote "botched joke" is because W went on TV immediately to say "Our troops are plenty smart and, the Senator from MA owes them an apology"-----you knew that was what I was talking about, so yeah, you are being annoying......

Anyway I want to know what Bob, or any of my fellow dems who are supporting Kerry think about my analysis of that situation, and the fact that Kerry backed down like a punk, and why they still believe he's electable even though he appears to have no backbone or political savy........

6:41 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

This is what Bush said:

"Kerry's statement was insulting and it is shameful. The members of the United States military are plenty smart and they are plenty brave, and the senator from Massachusetts owes them an apology"

That is hardly an attack. Kerry put his foot in his mouth and Bush was standing up for the troops. And if pointing this out to you liberals is being annoying then all I can say is you haven't been discussing politics very long!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Wow! I can't believe how much the party of free speech ISN'T! Your moderator has deleted my comments in the manner of of true communist government! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

HEIL!

12:46 AM  
Blogger BobsAdvice said...

Hey Michael,

When you say "HEIL" are you saluting your fuehrer? We don't worship nazis on this blog.

Nobody has deleted anything you have written. What exactly are you talking about?

Bob

12:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Michael,

Kerry wasn't attacking the troops, he was stating a true fact about how many of our troops end up in the army, unlike Sean Hannity would have you believe, not all of them are there because they want to be.....I KNOW......THERE MY FRIENDS......It is because of Bush's economic nad military policies that these unfortunate young people get "Stuck in Iraq" and it has nothing to do with their intellect......Bush was taking advantage of Kerry's horrible public speaking skills........you didn't point out anything, you just asked a question you knew the answer to.....

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home