Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Concerned About America!

I am concerned about America.

You really shouldn't worry. I am just a blogger. I sit at my keyboard and peck away; creating entries for the world to read. But what I read makes me cringe.

I hate acts of terror. The terrorists who slammed planes into the Towers that morning makes me seethe. We must be strong in our fight against those who would undermine our freedoms and seek to intimidate.

But I am also an American. And that means more than just living in a country on the North American continent.

America is about freedom. America is about hope and opportunity. America is about progress and the future. America is about all of that and more.

But today our nation is led by individuals who do not feel the same loyalty to those values which make America, America. We have a President who is asking for laws to allow torture of "terrorists", the suspension of the Geneva Conventions by redefining and limiting the definition of torture, the exemption of prosecution from those who torture, and the admission of confessions brought about by coercion. We have a President who feels he is above the law, and makes signing statements to legislation placed on his desk, who ignores the law in wiretapping Americans when the FISA court is there for him to use, and who has manipulated the media, paying for journalists to write stories favorable to his policy. America is even now a nation of secret prisons and extraordinary rendition.
This is not the America I know.

I am afraid for that America. I look for Statesmen who can rise to the occasion to meet this challenge to our nation. I see a glimmer of hope when some Republicans stand up to the President of their own political party.

America is not a nation who tortures. In America no man, not even the President is above the law. There is nothing as important in America as the Freedom of Expression and the Freedom of the Press. Those who dissent are exercising their patriotic duty as free citizens. Our rule as Americans is not 'if you are not with us you are against us' but rather if you are not with us, you are an American as well!

Let us hope and pray that America will come home once more. That voters will awaken to their senses and restore America to its rightful place as a beacon of liberty and freedom among nations.

It cannot happen any sooner.

Bob

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael R. Churchill said...

I just opened up a new blog covering the 2008 presidential election, and if you would like to submit blogposts to it: its free and easy to submit.

Also it's free traffic to your site in return.

This is not a spam comment, but I am just a fellow blogger trying get people involved in the 2008 presidential election.

The site is www.08debate.org

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home