Sunday, December 05, 2004

"Things we need to do now"

After working for months for John Kerry as a volunteer, making phone calls, painting signs, canvassing, and just simply holding signs on election day, I was a little bit at a loss, to say the least, when the day-after-the election-day blues hit. I really didn't know what to do. Was it all for nothing?

It occurred to me that John Kerry, just as each of us, is another person. An individual with dreams and aspirations, and his disappointment must have far exceeded my own. If I could talk to him, I would just say "Thank You". You see what John Kerry was doing, he did for us as much as for himself. His campaign was about all of America, changing the course of things in this nation, and bringing us back into the world of diplomacy and cooperation with our allies.

Fortunately, Senator Kerry has a Senate website and an online mail procedure. Thus, I emailed him and said "Thank You". I told him I would be working again for him for 2008 and said everything he did sure was appreciated around here. I would suggest that more of us take the time to send Senator Kerry a note. Tell him that we are here for him and do not grow tired in the pursuit of what is right about America. We have no room for fatigue.

Now I am sure that many of you also know that Senator Edwards' wife was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly after his loss on the ticket with Senator Kerry. I don't know anything about how she is doing, but I can tell you that this is a long ordeal for any woman. It is about a fight for one's life that is not easy nor is it always pleasant. Send Senator Edwards a note on his email site and tell him "Thank You". And tell him that his wife is in your prayers, and then go ahead and say a prayer for her.

You all may know that I am very much for the separation of church and state. But that doesn't mean that those of us who do pray can't. It just means we don't do that in government.

These are just some thoughts. Please join in and leave your comments here. Maybe I'm crazy and it doesn't really matter at this point. But I have a dream as well, a dream of an America that IS the beacon of liberty and freedom for the rest of the world. An America that is loved by nations across the globe because of our devotion to the poor, the disadvantaged, the homeless, those without healthcare; and our concerns about those who suffer in other parts of the world.

We can and shall do this together in the future. Let us continue to struggle to elect Americans that we can be proud of to the highest offices in this land!

Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home